Residential care centre, assisted living residences
Restoration, expansion and repurposing contract
The former Lemaire sanatorium is located in Overijse near Brussels. Built in 1936–7 as a tuberculosis sanatorium for 150 male patients, the building was used as a hospital until 1987. The complex and its outbuildings were recently declared a World Heritage Site and have been protected as a monument since 1993.
NV Tombeekheyde acquired the complex in 2008. The original idea of a care function in this special place has been maintained through the development of a retirement and nursing home in the main building. The plans include, apart from retirement and nursing rooms, assisted living residences, support functions, a restaurant open to the public and a witness room to recall life in the sanatorium.
- Client: Tombeekheyde N.V.
- Completion date: 2016
- Location (street)/country: Overijse (Waversesteenweg)/Belgium
- Status: Realized
- Floor area: 16.000 m² restoration, 6.500 m² expansion
- Type: Residential care centre, assisted living residences
- Photography/Renderings: SVR-ARCHITECTS/Animotions bvba