Since the late 1960s, the Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens has been located on the banks of the Leie, in the quiet rural area around Ghent. It is a place where contemporary art can be admired in a modernist setting. The buildings and infrastructure are in poor condition and in need of a facelift; a thorough, but gentle renovation, with respect for the existing character, is necessary.
The project is divided into two phases:
- Phase 1 concerns the renovation of the exhibition space, as well as the consolidation of all the services;
- Phase 2 concerns the renovation of the exhibition space, and the associated offices and sanitary facilities.
Parts of the building will remain in use during the renovation. The project is being undertaken in close consultation with the museum board and their commercial partner.
- Client: Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens
- Completion date: Phase 1: june 2021 / Phase 2: to be determined
- Location (street)/country: Deurle (Museumlaan 14), Belgium
- Status: Phase 1:realised
- Floor area: 1350 m² (900 m² Museum/gallery, 225 m² offices, 225 m² technical rooms)
- Type: utility
- Images: SVR-ARCHITECTS